Friday, December 16, 2011

Disappearing nine patch is done!

Finally, done!  I had a lot of fun quilting this one!  The colored blocks are quilted with black Isacord thread, in a raggedy fern design!  I am liking that design, and I think it may become my "signature" quilting stitch!
Here's a closeup of the stitching after I have washed and dried it!  I love that "crinkled" look you get when you wash a quilt!  It certainly gives you a softer hand to the quilt.  I used a black batting for the first time, but can't say I was too happy with it.  It seemed stiff.  I am sure it is from the dye process.  I ended up machine stitching the binding down, using a serpentine stitch.  The binding is black, and I used black thread, and it really doesn't show, so I think it was a good choice.  This is going to be given to my nephew for his first apartment, and I hope it will get lots of use!  He is an art student, and I hope that he will appreciate the colours and the stitching!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

December embroidery club project

This month's embroidery club project at Threads of Time in Danville was a cover for a neat recipe/photo album.  We got to choose our background fabric, and thread colours.  Our intrepid leader Ila created the pattern for us!
It was super easy to do.  I may get some more of the albums and change up a bit of the design for use as a photo album, rather than recipes.
Here's some more of the quilting on my disappearing nine patch.  I just need to get more of the black fabric for the binding.  I was going to make it scrappy, but it is speaking to me that it wants a black binding.  Gotta listen to the quilt when it talks!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Sunflower wallhanging

I decided to work on a pattern that I had purchased at our recent guild quilt show!  I purchased the available embellishing kit that came with it, but after I got it made, I decided I like the look without the extra glitz.  GASP!!
It was fun to chose the yellows and oranges from my stash.  Even the center dotted fabric and the green leaf sashing was in my stash!  I need to look through those drawers more often!

I used Darlene Epps book for some inspiration!  I liked the look of this Madeline design.  Of course, it didn't look like this when I got done with my interpretation!
I used black Bottom Line (60wt Superior Thread) in the bobbin, and King Tut on top for the sashings!  Once I got in a rhythm, it became a lot of fun!
I think you can see the design better on the reverse.  But the busy dotted background really keeps the black stitching from being distracting!