Tuesday, November 11, 2014

2014 Houston Trip

Today the weather here in the lower Midwest is turning more winterlike with a Polar Vortex heading our way.  But I am still basking in the glow of my recent trip to Houston and cruise to the western Caribbean!  I have so much to tell, that I will do a series of blogs to get all the information in (and to extend the warm memories!)

First leg of the trip started in Houston for the 40th Houston Quilt Show!  I shared a room at the Hilton with my new friend, Jan Ruiz!  This was her first show, and she was like a kid in a candy store!  We got along famously, and enjoyed the show!




I am not good at taking selfies, but I wanted to get the convention center in the picture with me!








This was the Ruby Celebration of 40 years, so red and white quilts were celebrated!  This awesome display was front and center of the quilt exhibition!  I was in love!







This is a small aerial view of the vendor floor!  With over 1000 vendors, it is easy to get overwhelmed!








I did show great restraint.  But this sweet bundle of yellow batik fabric had to come home with me!  This will be perfect for Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusions mystery quilt!
















The best things about going to the quilt shows is meeting up with friends.  The internet and Facebook are great for making far flung friends; the big quilt shows are great venues for meeting up with them and getting hugs!





Before leaving Houston, I attended mass at the Annunciation Church, which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel.  It sits in the shadow of Minute Maid Stadium.  It is a beautiful church with beautiful stained glass and statuary!




1 comment:

  1. Makes me wish I had rented a scooter and gone to the Quilt festival. That church looks like it could be in Italy! Beautiful.
    Kathy Bell

    ReplyDelete