Friday, February 6, 2015

Urban Birthday

While waiting for custom templates to come from Paper Pieces, I have been trying to finish up some UFOs.  Yes, I do have quite a stack of quilt tops that need to be finished.  Don't even ask about the kits, patterns, etc. that are waiting for me to get to them!
The current done project took birth last March as we were coming home from quilt retreat.  We stopped in at Peace and Applique in Rochester to do some looking and shopping!  
I saw this quilt hanging in the back room!  It was made with Kaffe Fassett fabrics and Peppered Cottons by Pepper Cory.  The pattern is Urban Birthday by Sew Kind of Wonderful.   It uses their Quick Curve Ruler, which I just happened to own!









I bought my Peppered Cotton, and collected fat quarters of Kaffe Fassett so I could get a nice variety.  I worked on it at retreat with the Material Girls that July.  
As I was putting it together, I thought they looked like wine glasses, so I decided to make a smaller one, and have it framed.














This is how the shop quilted their sample.  And how I quilted the wine glasses.  But I wanted something different for my quilt.















I decided on using feathers around the oval and pearls.  And decided to leave the center oval unquilted.  I did echo quilting to the wine glasses.  However, I just found out today that Sew Kind of Wonderful has a long arm ruler that would have made this so much easier!  Live and learn!




No comments:

Post a Comment