Monday, October 28, 2013

Comfort Quilts

Quilters are know for their generosity.  One of the ways that we show it is by making comfort quilts.  I have been involved with many comfort quilts over the years.  Most of the time I simply provided a block to be added into a quilt that someone else would be putting together and quilting.  Often, I wouldn't even personally know the person who would be receiving the quilt.  It doesn't matter. If I can spread love and comfort, and say a prayer for another human being, then it is always a good thing.
My most recent comfort quilt was for a dear friend of my hubby.  They have known each other since 1955!  They have stayed in contact through the years and the miles.  They met in high school.  Hubby grew up in Chicago and attended Loyola Academy. Recently, his friend was diagnosed with cancer.  The nurse in me wanted to know the details; the quilter in me wanted to make a quilt for him.
My friend Mickey Depre recently made a quilt for her brother-in-law using a Bonnie Hunter pattern in Chicago Bears colors (orange and blue, go Illini!). I went to Bonnie's free pattern tab to check out her offerings.  Scrappy Mountains Majesty struck my fancy, so I recreated it in EQ7 using navy blue and orange.  Funny thing, the orange pieces looked like fish to me.  Brain flash!  Our friend lives in Boca Raton, FL and is an avid boater and diver!
So I "dived" into my stash and pulled all my turquoises, teals, aquas, corals, yellows, and fabrics that reminded me of a coral reef.

I renamed it "Oceans Majesty". I quilted it on my friend's Gammill longarm in an allover swirly design.  They received it last week, and I certainly hope and pray it gives him comfort as he is fighting this horrible disease.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Maggie!! And I hope Wayne's friend has a rapid recovery.

    ReplyDelete