Friday, April 15, 2011

Paris: Bus trip to Giverny and Versailles

Our first full day in Paris started out rainy and overcast.  But we were told that if it rains in Paris in the morning, it will be over by 10am.  And the prediction held true.  Although it never did get sunny! 
Our hotel had a sumptious free breakfast every morning!  Much more than your typical "continental" breakfast of pastries and juices.  There were all sorts of fresh fruits, dried fruits, cold cuts and cheeses.  Yougurts and cereals.  Scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, pork and beans, mushrooms.  There was a chef who would prepare omelets or eggs to order.  Crepes, which were really just pancakes, french toast, or waffles.  Several different types of juices, and of course coffee.  I can't say that I was a fan of the hotel's American coffee.  It tasted rather like instant.

After we had our fill, we got on our motor coach headed north to Giverny and to see Monet's flower gardens.  I love Monet's work and was especially excited to get to see where he got his inspiration.  Unfortunately, I had a bad case of motion sickness while on the bus, and ended up vomiting all over myself.  When we arrived at Monet's home, I was quickly ushered to the toilet where I tried to clean myself up as best I could.  My friend Karon went to the giftshop and bought me a Tshirt so at least part of me looked presentable!  My camera got left in the bus, so I have no pictures of Giverny.  The gardens were not in full bloom because of the time of year.  But it was beautiful, none the less.
After a lovely lunch of chicken and potatoes au gratin, we were loaded back up in the motor coach (I am now destined for the front seat, which is where I like to sit anyway!) for a ride back toward Paris and Palace at Versailles.  Our tour guide, Jean-Andre, gave us a fantastic history of Louis XIV.  The opulence and grandness is so overwhelming!
None of my pictures could even speak to the grandness and size of this building.












I was totally fascinated with the cobblestones in the courtyard.  There were acres of this covering the courtyard.  I could imagine the many feet of nobles, servants echoing of these ancient stones.  And how the ordinary people of France must have felt to see the nobles living in such luxury while they were taxed to support this.





At one of the bridges over the Seine near the Eiffel tower is a small replica of our Statue of Liberty.  Unfortunately, from the bridge we could only see the back side of this awesome piece of art.  We were told it was a one fourth replica!

2 comments:

  1. One thing wrong with hotel meals, there's always too much choice!

    I wonder had Frédéric Bartholdi had made France's statue the same size as the one they sent to USA if they could wave at each other over the Atlantic? Just a couple of inches short perhaps lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a great day, other than the vomiting part. I woul love to see Monet's gardens some day.

    ReplyDelete