Monday, May 30, 2011

Sunflower

Last year on our way home from my quilt guild's retreat at Princeton, IL, we stopped at several quilt shops.  I picked up several quilt kits.  I actually did get them sewn, and only one is left to be quilted.  The one that I most recently finished was a quilt pattern by Clothworks. http://www.clothworkstextiles.com/pattern_download.asp?ID=188


I was really drawn to the bright colours.  It was a fun quilt to make, and I had some great scraps left over!  But the most fun was when I went to quilt it!

When you read the books that teach free motion quilting, they often suggest that you quilt a patterned piece of fabric, following the designs to loosen yourself up.  Well, the floral fabric in this kit was just begging to be quilted like that!
I was trying to do some free style butterflies around the center, but I ended up just doing freestyle feathers.  My friend Bev suggested I use a bright variagated thread in both top and bobbin, as I was using a white muslin on the backside.







I was really amazed at how well this looked on the back!  I'm still at a point that I am wishing to hide my back stitching, for fear that all the mistakes will just pop out!  But it really turned out nicely.








I liked the look so well that I decided to make a small wallhanging using the same technique.  I have been following Nancy Prince's classroom on Thread Painting on "The Quilt Show".  This is just a bit of a warm up!







And what am doing with the Sunflower quilt?  I gifted it to my friend and co-worker Bonnie.  She had been whining that she didn't know what she could do to get a quilt from me.  Turned out, a little whine, and be my friend, was all she needed to do!  Bonnie, I hope you enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome back! Wow! Congratulations -- I hope you're not worried about your back stitching anymore. The front looks great, too, but it's easier to see the back stitching in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt and quilting, Maggie! Love it!

    LynnEl

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really gorgeous, Maggie. I love the variegated thread on the back of that white muslin. That is surely brave, but it paid off for you. You're really doing so great with your FMQing! I need to practice that more!

    ReplyDelete